Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Culinary Adventures

Lots of free time, recipes, food-blogging friends, as well as the availability of exotic foods all but beckoned me to the kitchen this long and brutal winter. After my successful Thanksgiving dinner, I was feeling pretty good about my chances in the kitchen. Two plus years here and my culinary repertoire had not expanded much beyond fried rice and dumplings. I still can't manage to make noodles that don't look like a pile of brains unless they're instant (the noodles, not the brains). However, I decided to step out of my and our family's comfort zone and try some completely different foods.
One of my favorite movies of recent is Julie and Julia, the one about Julia Childs and a woman who cooks her way through her cookbook then blogs about it. I loved that idea and applauded the woman who really did that, knowing I never would have the will power to get through it and be diligent enough to write every day. One of my high school buddies had started a blog last year following the same gist. She was going to choose a different recipe, cook it for her family, and then post their reactions good and bad for all to see. Lynne over at 365 Days of Baking just finished her year of recipes. I've got to hand it to her. Not only did she successfully complete her task, she also inspired me.
Indian food is my new favorite. I love the flavors and am especially fond of naan bread. I researched a bunch of recipes, found the ingredients and set about cooking. Dinner was a long time coming as I didn't figure in the time the dough needed to rise, but when Katie kept sneaking bites from the skillet, I knew I had a winner. The butter chicken and garlic naan disappeared.
Another keeper, if only in my book, was the cranberry scones recipe. Downton Abbey and all of the Brits around here make tea time look like so much fun. I wanted to get in on it. Surprisingly, scones are not too difficult, or rather the recipe I found was not difficult. Sydney even helped me. She was not all that jazzed with the results and told me we needed to cook something she liked next time.
Teriyaki was my tried and true marinade, but it was time to give it a much deserved break. All of the imported marinades and barbecue sauces are fairly pricey. I scanned the internet in hopes of finding some tasty alternatives. Feeling daring, I combined several recipes, adding more of one ingredient, substituting others, and hoping for a decent outcome. I poured my concoction on a pork tenderloin, setting aside the remaining sauce. When everyone, including Sarah (who never uses sauces) asked for more sauce, I secretly did a happy dance.
I'd promised myself and the family to try at least one new recipe a week, whether it be a sweet treat, marinade or full-blown meal. I've kept the promise and steadily increased our favorites-in-rotation. Yes, we still enjoy taco night, but with little variations. Yes, we still have spaghetti night, but we've now tried five or six different kinds of pastas and sauces.
No, I have not mastered the art of boiling Chinese noodles...but I am more confident that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment