Sunday, February 26, 2012

Long, Cold Winter

The first two months of 2012 have been relatively uneventful...as uneventful as things can get for an expat family. The Christmas break lasted a little over three weeks, the girls went back to school for two weeks and then were off again for the Chinese New Year for ten days. Since we didn't go anywhere during either break, this winter seems to be much longer and colder than the previous two. It is almost expected that expats take exotic vacations. When we told people we were sticking around, they looked at us questioningly, waiting for us to explain. Quite frankly, we didn't feel like battling the crowds and the grossly inflated prices. Most folks I've talked to who did go away commented on both of those.
As the rain continues to fall almost every day, the mood falls as well. I wondered if I was the only glum one. At the bus stop this week, I discovered I was not alone in my depression. All of us lamented the harshness of the elements and what it's done to our psyche. We also vowed to help each other out of the funk.
Now don't get me wrong. I know 'tai tais' have it easy over here. However, it's not all massages and shopping trips. In fact, I haven't had a proper massage in almost a year (she says with a heavy sigh and rolling eyes). The every day tasks are not as simple as they are back home. I fear for my life every time I go out in this beastly traffic with thousands of folks who should not be behind the wheel of a car. Add rain and cold to the equation and I don't even want to leave the house. Grocery shopping with gloves and a scarf on is the norm since the stores are not heated.
I can count on one hand how many times I've seen blue sky this year. I can count with one finger how many times the temperature has gone above 55 degrees. Thankfully, the girls seem unaffected, except they can't play outside every day. Larry even hits the links in this hideous weather. Not me. Give me the mosquito-infested, swimmingly humid, sweltering heat any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment